Loo views

Loo views

Sunday 5 June 2016

River joys and terrors


I have found my first cruising on a river both terrifying and wonderful. The Avon is so beautiful and there seem to be very few boats using it at present. We have had no problem mooring and have been alone in most of the locks. The scenery is simply magical with few manmade structures to spoil the view, even bridges are few and far between.

However, the weirs are an issue as they push your boat around, reminding me of the power of the water. One lock approach yesterday almost reduced me to tears as the weir ran directly under the lock landing. The other scary thing for me as a canal dweller is the lack of any sort towpath. When the woods come right down to the water, I can't help wondering what on earth I'd do if I needed to stop in a hurry. I guess that's what my anchor is for.

I am heading for Tewkesbury and then will turn up the Severn towards Stourport. I will be both relieved and a bit sad to get back to my familiar ditch!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're amazing for doing this. I hadn't thought about that difference between the river and canal.

    ReplyDelete