Loo views

Loo views

Saturday 19 December 2015

Seven years on the water

It is seven years today since I bought my boat 'Don't Panic and moved from land living and a full time career to canal living and earning just enough to keep the wolf from the door.
I am now financially poorer than I have ever been. I have almost no security as far as where I live and how I live. From hardly being able to change a light bulb, I now have to service my boat engine, cope with things going wrong like my inverter blowing up and provide my own power and heating. I have to dispose of my own poo, fill my own water tank and work locks, lift bridges and other canal challenges alone apart from my dog. Having been a detective sergeant on murder squad and a deanery evangelist for the Church of England, I now clean loos and showers for a living. I am regarded as little more than a gypsy by some, a lapsed Christian by others and a bit of a loafer by many.

I have never been so happy in my entire life.


8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary. Great to hear from fellow single handed boaters. I clicked Tweek but mistake, so you might have a few more comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy , excuse my ignorance but what is a deanery evangelist ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a church army evangelist. My duties included trying to help 21 small elderly rural churches in Devon be more community focused and also trying to get the communities to have a better relationship with the Church. A deanery is just a word for a collection of parishes

      Delete
  3. I m now a little more educated in all things church. Sounds like no small challenge. Any engagement with the community is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's also a challenge to stop this blog from posting my comments twice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's also a challenge to stop this blog from posting my comments twice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have just discovered your blog while reading someone else's; so now I am going to have yo go to the beginning and read on through to the present day! The concept of view from the loo is a pretty enticing way to attract the curious to look and read!
    Making the choice to live a life that lights you up and has you stretch your capabilities is pretty special. I am looking forward to reading about your journey and your travels! Cheers, Marilyn nb Waka Huia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to virtually meet you Marilyn! Maybe we will meet in the flesh one day. I'll keep an eye out for Waka Huia.

      Delete