Loo views

Loo views

Thursday 14 January 2016

I did it without a man!

I had another go at servicing the engine today. This time I ran the engine for 20 minutes or so before taking my friend Graham's leather strap affair to the filter. I had thought of pouring hot water over the filter, with the idea that if the metal expanded it might be easier to shift. Graham pointed out that running the engine till the oil heated up would produce the same result. It worked! I thought the strap was just slipping at first, but no, the filter turned. Oh the relief!
Unfortunately that meant doing the oil change in freezing temperatures, with an arctic wind blowing! But I did it and oh I feel flushed with success! I can also feel every single muscle in my body and I'm sure I have developed frostbite on my nose and fingers. Now all I have to do is get the right sized fuel filter from the boatyard and work out how to get the old gear box oil out so I can put fresh stuff in. Any tips gratefully received.
And all done without a man in sight. I am woman, hear me roar!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy, Do you have a pela pump or similar to remove the oil from the engine (and gearbox)? If not, buy one from a car parts place, or a Halfords-type store. Excellent bit of kit and makes removing liquids from awkward places a breeze. Our one isn't a pela but it holds 6 litres so all of the engine oil can be pumped into it (from the dip stick hole) in one go and then poured into an empty oil container for disposal - saves a lot of mess and spillage. We also got a filter remover thingie from Halfords - same concept as the leather strap but it has a metal band that you loosen and tighten as needed.
    Cheers, Marilyn nb Waka Huia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of a pela pump! I'll check out my local car place. I have a handle that I pump on the engine to remove my engine oil but the gear box oil hole is tiny so I didn't know how to get it out. Thanks for the tip

      Delete